Sunday, April 26, 2009

Bike Race Weekend

The annual NDSU vs UND bike race was this weekend and it tends to engulf our entire weekend. The race pits the Catholic churches on each campus against each other in a fund raising bike race in which the winner is determined by the top race finishers, funds raised, and the number of riders for each team. This will be the shocker for most of you but I ride for team NDSU. We have been members of The NDSU Newman Center for almost 10 years so it has been my team.


Friday night was registration where we drop off our pledge money. New this year was a spaghetti feed in which Janelle worked. The 4 kids and myself went to Jaden's soccer practice in which I coach. I tried my best to keep eleven first graders on "soccer" task while I kept an eye on my other 3 children. After practice we went to see mom and turn in the pledges. By the time we arrived they had run out of spaghetti and were cleaning up. We then headed over to Grandma and Grandpa Wentz' to drop off the two little ones for a sleepover.


Saturday morning Janelle gave me a ride to the Newman center with my bike so we wouldn't have to pick up the van later. We did something new; we left Megan and Jaden home alone for the 30 minutes that Janelle would be gone. We told Megan she was in charge and that we would have our cell phone on in case she needed to reach us. Who would have guessed that the one time our home phone goes out would be the first time we leave the kids alone!!!!! Thank heaven it wasn't an emergency, Megan just wanted to report that Jaden wouldn't listen to her (Image that). I rode in the race and it was a beautiful morning with hardly any wind. NDSU ended up winning the trophy with raising more money and having more riders (apparently they had more top 20 riders). Janelle worked a water stop while Megan went to her soccer game with a teammate. Jaden hung out with Mom.


Saturday night Janelle and I went to the Shanley Auction. This is a fundraiser auction where they raise money for my former high school. It is a fun evening where they keep the "bubbly" filled in your glass while you walk around bidding on the smaller silent auction items. They also serve awesome hors d'oeuvres(sp?). We then sit down to a delicious formal dinner and then proceed with a live auction of the big items(this is where Janelle and I usually just watch). They raised over $345,000 for the school. Grandma and Grandpa Zander came to the house to watch the older two.

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

Just reading about your bicycle exercise is exhausting me. Maybe I need a second bowl of ice cream.