Monday, May 7, 2007

Something I've Never Done Before

It has been a week of firsts!!! Last weekend I accomplished two task I have never done and never thought I would ever do.

The first is this blog. You see I am a math guy so I am very uneasy writing for others to see. English was never my strong point. You will see grammatical errors and misspellings (thank God for spell check). I thought with a house full of four small children it would be nice to keep friends and relatives updated on our lives.

The second was accomplished last Sunday. I ran for 20.5 miles!! After three hours and thirty five minutes I arrived back at home completing the longest run I had ever done. Why you ask??? Three years ago I told myself that I would run a marathon when I was forty. Well that magic birthday came less than a month ago. I have always been a runner, but a sprinter not a distance runner. Three years ago I decided to start running in races, not so much to compete with others but to try to continue to improve. I trained heavily last Fall but decided to wait until that 40th year of my existence to run a marathon. Things went well until ....well... our fourth child was born in February. Training has been replaced with sleep, whenever and wherever I can. I few weeks ago (about the same time the baby started to sleep though the night) I decided to go ahead with my dream and give it all I had. The race I had picked was the Fargo Marathon because it was close, flat, and friendly. I have used an accelerated training schedule and went to work. Sundays run will be the longest that I complete until the actual marathon on May 19th. Now I feel I can finish the 26.2 miles.

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

You have a blog?! You ran a marathon?! You have another child?! You're forty?! Excuse me while I faint dead away.