Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Bachelor Biker

Janelle and the kids left for the lake this afternoon leaving me a bachelor for the next couple of days. I have to work on Thur. and Fri. (the joy of the 4th of July on a Wednesday). So, I did what most men would do when their wife and four children leave them, I went for a bike ride.

Yes, I jumped on my road bike and peddled my way to Casselton. Three hours and 50 miles later I was back in my driveway. Why Casselton? The wind was out of the NW and every cyclist knows you always start out against the wind so you have it at your back on the way home(Casselton is west, close enough).

I did something I never have done before, I stopped for a beer at the Governors' Inn in Casselton. I have never been in a bar all by myself so I was little unsure how I would be welcomed walking in with by biking gear on. The bar was pretty empty with just two local men sitting at the bar engaged in a conversation and another man on the other end of the bar. I decided to "belly up" to the bar and sat in the middle. The two men questioned me on what I was doing and then questioned my sanity after I told them. They were friendly locals who I believe were farmers. I finished my beer and headed back out for my journey back. As I was mounting my bike a bartender came out and talked about her dad who was a serious cyclist. We talked for a few minutes and I was off. On the way home, I was to pass through Mapleton and thought since I had fun having "one" in Casselton why not try "one" in Mapleton. I pulled up to the only bar I found in town and it was closed (on the Fourth of July??). I guess I wasn't meant to have two beers today since that would double my beer intake for the last month. It was a good workout.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummmm...I think when you have the opportunity to spend an evening "batching it" you're supposed to sit on your own couch and drink the beer...you're far too ambitious!

Kevin Moberg said...

Amateur! Here is how to really live it up when the wife and kids are away.

Anyway, congrats on the successful bike ride, the exercise, the healthiness, blah blah blah. You make me sick. (And I mean that in the nicest possible way.)

However, if you're going to be an exercise freak, at least you're one who drinks beer while exercising. A little redneck, but something I can applaud.